Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The thread that weaves through all successful people.

I was working with a group recently and we were discussing ethics and their overall impact in business. Because I have had the pleasure of helping so many organizations create and implement a culture customized by their leadership team, I believe I may have found a thread that weaves its way through all successful people.

It’s personal-pride. That’s it. Nothing more. Just personal-pride.

Let’s start with toddlers. The reaction to taking their first steps when encouraged by others drives them to pick themselves up when they fall and do it again and again.

Move on to dance or little league. A great performance or homerun can push a child to keep going for the gold.

Next comes grades in school, part time jobs, living on their own, and college degrees. Show me a young person that is proud of their accomplishments, and I will show you a level of success directly impacted by that pride.

This dedication in doing the best possible work, being the best possible person, transcends into adulthood. It turns into entrepreneurs that start with nothing and build empires, teachers that brag about students that surpass expectations and parents that raise responsible citizens who give back to their community.

It can be found daily in the workplace, whether it is a dental practice known for quality care, an art gallery focused on eliminating the intimidation of shopping for fine art or an attorney dedicated to creating a reputation of integrity and justice.

And, it is not just in business. Personal pride reveals itself in beautiful gardens, spotless kitchens, and organized closets. Behind every pristine car, immaculate landscape or a carefully chosen wardrobe you will find an owner beaming with delight.

Personal pride is accomplished by asking yourself these four questions:

1. Did I do the best job I could do?
2. Did I look my best for the situation I was in?
3. Did I treat others in the best way possible?
4. Did I leave a place better than I found it?

For the next 48 hours I challenge you to live a life of personal pride and then check to see how you feel at the end of the day. My guess is better than ever.

3 comments:

  1. I am going to work on #3....thank you Trudy. Did you write 1-4 about Tim Stockman as he accomplishes all those goals...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Challenge for the next 48 hours? I've lived the last 50 years by that standard.

    Then again, my father taught me well.

    Everyone should live up to this, combined with a healthy pinch of accountability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trudy,
    Thank you for mentioning the art gallery. I am glad that message is getting out - that art does NOT need to be intimidating to be enjoyed and appreciated by all. I take a great deal of pride in trying to do all 4 things. I know you do as well. I'm better for knowing you.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete