Friday, June 24, 2011

Cell Phone Protocol

Just how many cell phones are out there? The most recent statistics I could find are from a survey conducted in May, 2010 by CTIA, the International Association for the Wireless Telecommunication Industry. It stated that 91% of Americans use cell phones. That same year CBS News reported 4.6 billion users Worldwide. Considering this tool as our main means of communication I feel it is time to discuss cell phone protocol.

I will begin with ring tones. Have you ever thought what your selection choice says about you? By now we have heard phone devices alert us with songs, chimes, bird calls, drums, sirens and so on. What’s my point? Just remember the impression you give when your phone goes off in a meeting playing the theme song from The Lion King, Kanye West’ latest hit or an oldie but goodie from Madonna.

Next, shall we tackle voice messages? Keep them short; to the point and, for goodness sakes, speak clearly! You don’t need to open with “Hi, how are you?” because no one will be there to answer the question. If it isn't concise it will be deleted. And, make sure you repeat the phone number if it is different than the one appearing on the phone. By saying it slowly, you give us a chance to actually write it down.

Lastly, let’s debate “The Missed Call”. When I see a missed call, I think someone tried to reach me and changed their mind or accidentally dialed my number. When my 23 year old daughter, Emma, sees one, she calls the person back. She feels it takes place of a voice message. Let’s all get on the same page…a missed call is just that and requires no action. A voice message on the other hand is the signal that someone wants you for a reason.

What are your thoughts on Cell Phone protocol?

3 comments:

  1. Trudy,
    This is a real hot button for me. I TOTALLY agree with your assessment and would add the following:
    Voice Message: Don't call and leave a message that says "This is John, Call me back". That tells me nothing. If you going to spend the time to leave me a message, instead of a "missed call", give me some information. “This is John; I want to talk with you about the plumbing at the Smith Residence". This message is packed with information. I have some idea why you’re calling and some idea of the urgency of the call because I know about the plumbing at the Smith Residence and you didn't say "We have a massive leak at the Smith Residence". It also gives me an idea whether or not I really need to return this call to you since we’ve probably resolved this item because I ran into you on the Smith Residence site 30 min after you left the message. “Call me back” is a huge time waster and inconsiderate of the listener.
    How about this item?
    Dropped calls are a VERY common in cellular communication. What is the protocol of who should try to return the dropped call? Anything is better than both parties calling each other back simultaneously and getting each other’s voicemail (and then stupidly leaving the message “hey call me back”)?
    Hope all is well you and know that I read everything you send me even if I don’t respond.
    With continued admiration of your work,
    Ronald. G Trebbi
    General Contractor / Architect
    CGC 055888 / AR 093856

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trudy...
    Thank you for the opportunity to chime in...:)
    My issue with cell phones is etiquette. As a physician, my cellphone is my lifeline to my patients and vice versa. I am never without it and am extremely mindful about returning phone calls promptly.
    I'm also of the generation, that when you are dining or in a meeting, unless the caller ID indicates that there is an emergency at hand (ie: person tries to get in touch with you multiple times in a few minutes), those calls should go into your voicemail and be addressed after the meal or the meeting.
    I'm aghast at how some people in a very public place like a restaurant will insist on taking a call that may be about their upcoming divorce, a business deal or personal matter that really should not be aired in public. Also, aggravating is when you are in a business meeting with someone and they insist on receiving calls that are related to their social life, etc. Nothing faintly related to their professional life... very hard to take someone seriously in business who can be distracted so easily.
    As these devices advance with more and more features, this will only get worse in the future... Oy!
    Much appreciate your words of wisdom.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all three comments on phone protocol.I think it is very distasteful for people to answer their phones in a business meeting. Firstly, all phones should be on silent or vibrate as to not interrupt the meeting. If the call must be answered, the caller should remove himself from the room or meeting as to not distract others in the room.

    ReplyDelete