Friday, February 12, 2010

I don't like Hope.

Hope feels like I may get it and I may not. It leaves me with the impression that although there are possibilities of achievement, there is also an implication of potential failure. Hope seems like maybe or maybe not.

No, I don’t like Hope at all.

I prefer Faith. Faith implies my beliefs will happen. It is a knowing that my desires will come true. It is an understanding that I will receive what I want. There is no doubt with Faith. Instead of Hope’s “Maybe’, Faith represents “Definitely”. It signifies my wishes will become a reality.

In the 1999 popular movie, The Matrix, one of the main characters, Morpheus, tells Neo, “Don’t think you are, know you are.” This is Faith at its finest. It is the powerful belief that overcomes all odds. It can be disguised in miracles. It is the underlying power of positive thinking.

Faith even feels different than Hope. Think of something you really want in your life. Be very clear in your mind’s eye of this desire. Now, Hope that you have it. Really Hope. Experience the feeling of Hope as strong as you can possibly envision. Say over and over to yourself, “I Hope I have it. I Hope I have it.”. As this exercise comes to a finish you end with a feeling of partial closure.

Now, change direction in your thought process. Again, clearly picture your desire in your mind. Using Faith as a knowing, confirm that you have it. Repeat to yourself, “I have Faith it will be done. I have Faith it will happen.” Draw passion from this phrase and notice the emotion you feel. It is very different than the feeling of Hope, isn’t it? Faith mentally moves you to the sensation of victory.

Hope versus Faith – which one do you believe in? Comment back! I am interested in your thoughts.

8 comments:

  1. Great article.
    Similar but distinctly different ideas.
    I have Faith that this will be well received by all your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LinkedIn
    Kenneth Rizza has sent you a message.

    Date: 2/12/2010

    Subject: RE: Trudy Jean I am curious what you think about my...

    Hi Trudy- I couldn't agree with you more. Someone once said "you bring about what you think about" Hope is nothing more than wishful thinking but if you believe then you can achieve. Having Faith in yourself and living life like you want it to turn out as if it already turned out that way will make the probability more of a possibility. You can't possibly do that with Hope. Hope is like passing the buck and wanting someone else to do it. Faith in yourself creates action by virture of the true meaning in believing something can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathrine Jacke Ortiz I use to teach this when I was teaching in a Bible College in Mass. "Faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen" You can't attach anything to hope it slips through your fingers. But faith is a knowing it's believing that you already have what you asked for. Attach your hope to faith and watch what happens, it's miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope is an idea for a particular outcome. If all one does is Hope then they become part of the "big drift" and keep doing the same things and Hoping it will turn out differently. I believe that is the definition of insanity! Hope should be the spark that gets Faith burning with a call to action. There needs to be a williness to shift and even change direction to keep Faith alive with the end result being what was Hoped for. Hope's outcome is Goal. Faith is the vehicle to achieve what is Hoped for.- Ken Rizza

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Trudy,

    Confidence level is a key distinction between the meaning of the words "hope" and "faith." Faith connotes complete confidence. Hope connotes possibility, but not complete confidence. Thank you for making that distinction clear to me.

    Faith isn't, however, a panacea. For instance, no matter how much faith I have in my ability to run fast, the only way I'm going reach the finish line faster that Usain Bolt is on the back of a horse.

    Rather than hope or faith, I propose "devotion," which connotes neither confidence nor possibility but rather love and commitment. Those meanings nourish me.

    When the other 7 sprinters lined up against Usain Bolt in the 2008 Olympics for the final heat of the 200m, I'm sure some had faith and the others had hope they would win. Bolt won the race by a big margin. Only one person wins some races. But the person devoted to their goals, regardless of the outcome, always wins a different kind of race.

    Best regards, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Faith better than Hope, too. Good comment. I remember an old chestnut from the 70s, "fake it till you make it". It implies Belief as well as Faith.
    Lynn Evans
    President, CEO, Northeastern Financial Consultants, Inc

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the distinction Steven Smith made in his first and second paragraphs. As far as my own feelings, I subscribe to a different movie quote that maybe you or your readers will recognize - "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic!! Thanks for this. This is exactly why I chose Faith instead of Hope when naming my daughter. And even though, I do catch myself "hoping" sometimes. This is a nice reminder that I always have the choice between the two, not just for namesake, but when approaching life.

    ReplyDelete