Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Even God Has Competition

I was recently talking with a client of mine, Laura Betts – Owner of HyperbaricsRx (www.HyperbaricsRx.com). We were discussing how different business owners react when mentioning their competition. We agreed that these reactions vary from denying they even have competition to the rarely seen admiration. I believe the way a leader feels about their competitors is a true reflection of their integrity. Heck, even God has competition…poor guy has to go up against the Devil every day!

How do you respond when someone mentions your rivalry? Do you immediately dismiss their presence; or, do you find yourself defensive? Is your response quick and negative; or, respectful of their contributions to the marketplace? However you find yourself reacting, I guarantee it is being evaluated, judged and filed away in the memory of others.

I am not quite sure why more leaders choose an adverse attitude toward those who offer the same services. I can only think it stems from jealously and lack of self-confidence. Yet, we all have competition. And, if you use it correctly it can only enhance your status within your industry.

Take a moment and think about your top three competitors. Consider these questions:

What is one thing I do better than they do?
What is one thing they do better than me and how can I learn from it?
How can I replicate their best practices?

In order to be competitive today, you need to know your competitors. But, you do not need to belittle, degrade or be disrespectful of their offerings. Doing this is like taking out a mirror and seeing an ugly reflection.

Want to really compete? Be better than the other guy, offer greater value, exceed expectations, respond quicker, build loyalty and treat every customer like your only customer.

I bet this is just what God does.

2 comments:

  1. Great Insights.
    I hope it was OK - I forwarded it to a few friends.
    I'm sure they will love it.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderfully productive meeting with Trudy... And an example of how a simple issue can further refine a corporate image when brought into the light. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete