Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Furthering Oprah’s Cause

I am sure many of you know of Oprah Winfrey’s mission to stop texting and driving. She seems to be single-handedly changing the habit of many Americans. As I support her efforts, I would like help further her cause and add: Stop Texting and Talking!

For so many years we have grown to pride ourselves on multi-tasking. In fact, it is often a skill set employers look for when hiring. Yet, we rarely search to employ someone that is a terrific listener and has the ability to stay present throughout an entire conversation.

Think about it…how many times do you allow yourself to be interrupted to see who is beeping on your phone? When was the last time you sat through an entire meeting and never looked at your blackberry? What about the last phone call you needed the caller to repeat what they were saying because you were busy finishing off a text message?

What about those kids today? I am frankly appalled at the number of parents that allow phones at the dinner table. Or, walk through a mall, grocery store or even Disney World with their son or daughter tailing behind because they can’t stop checking messages. Get into a car full of teens and you will experience silence. Each one of them will either have plugs in their ears or be completely absorbed reading the latest Facebook posting.

For the next 48 hours don’t just stop texting and driving…stop texting completely when you are in the presence of another human being! Don’t allow yourself to become distracted by the beeping or flashing of that small communication tool that is starting to take over your life. And, ask those around you to do the same. Try these behaviors instead:

• Leave your phone in your bag, pocket or room.
• Turn off the sound – no vibrating either!
• Take the time to actually look at people when they speak.
• Acknowledge others with a smile.
• Listen to the words they say and respond accordingly.

Together we can support Oprah’s cause and promise no texting while driving. We can then make a further commitment to live a life of personal interaction by staying present in each moment that we have with one another.

Please join me in my effort to bring back a society that places value on social interaction not just social media!

4 comments:

  1. Trudy,
    I love the passion you express here.
    It is hard to believe how little real "communication" takes place.
    I am taking your challenge seriously.
    I hope you will find ways to "catch me" doing it well.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trudy, Trudy, Trudy - YES I want to stand out side carry a sign. Put a magnetic sign on my truck. I cannot stand it anymore. Accidents are caused. You get additionally stressed while driving as people merge into your lane while driving. I put the phone in the back seat so I am not tempted and have special rings for special people so I know to stop and call back. When someone is emailing or texting while talking to me I walk away. When on the phone and someone puts me on hold for call waiting I hang up!! We need to talk more I agree I am taking that challange I rely too much on email and texting. Your the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trudy, I totally agree. I don't even text. I don't know how to do it and I refuse to do it. I have e-mail, phone and fax. I think that's enough for clients to find me. I support your cause. Edith Oliva.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks as always Trudy. I couldn't agree more. I can't admit to being 100% innocent on this, but at least I am trying!

    Beyond the safety concerns, this also raises the question about multitasking. To quote a recent HBR article, "In a knowledge economy, where thinking and creativity are the raw materials from which products and profit flow, brains are assets. They need to be cherished, nurtured and protected, not abused. Leaders need to take seriously a century’s evidence that 1) overwork doesn’t make us productive, it makes us stupid, 2) looking away from a problem is often the best way to solve it, and 3) burnout is what happens when people are asked to work in ways that obliterate all other parts of their lives. We need to hammer the last nail into the coffin of multi-tasking. No, you can’t safely drive and hold conference calls, nor can you text while driving. And checking emails while in meetings means you may as well not be there. What modern business needs isn’t distracted Blackberry addicts, but actual human beings who haven’t forgotten the gifts of focus, concentration and mindfulness."


    I couldn't agree more about the distractions, safety concerns and intrutions that these devices cause. Now admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery right?

    ReplyDelete