Thursday, January 20, 2011

“You Are What You Tolerate.”

In Taylor Caldwell’s book, Captain and the Kings she wrote that line and it has stuck with me for years. In fact, some people actually give me credit for it because I say it all of the time. Yet, I always acknowledge the wisdom of this great author for allowing me to use her verbiage to influence others….and here is how I do it.

What are the things that are in your control that you tolerate? Are you satisfied with poor behavior from your children? Do you accept your employees are always late? Will you endure rude customer service? Can you move throughout your day accepting disrespect?

Those questions really make one think don’t they?

And the reason you are grappling with them is because you know you deserve the best life has to offer. You should surround yourself with only those as deserved as you are. If you will agree with me on that simple statement, we can move on. If not, please stop reading.

Ah, so you stayed with me and chose to read on. Let me begin complimenting your willingness to explore how your level of tolerance has positively and negatively affected your life.

Wherever you are this very moment you need to take responsibility for putting yourself there. You are the product of you what you have tolerated over the years. Sitting in a fine hotel? It is because you expected the best. Reading this on a dilapidated bench in the cold? It is because you are willing to tolerate lack.

Whatever conditions you are living with is due to your level of tolerance. Whether you are overweight or in the best of health, in a relationship of adoration or hate, rich or poor, the circumstances are all the same. You get back exactly what you are willing to tolerate.

So, from this moment forward realize the truth behind the statement. Raise your awareness. Demand the best in your life. For, the truth is and always will be:” You are what tolerate.” Taylor Caldwell – Captain and The Kings.

2 comments:

  1. Many of us apply a similar but different perspective. I might call it a range of acceptability. Or it might be called the ‘nothing is perfect’ perspective. We do the best we can under the circumstances. This is often out of expediency, lack of skill or poor funding. In short much of what we tolerate is because of those three things. A great peeve of mine.

    However, your blog stirs my interest in how can I turn this around to make it work for me. I'm not sure I can without the frustration of perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog. It's so true in all aspects of our life. Thanks for putting into words.

    ReplyDelete